Tuesday 2 October 2012

My fight with school

I always fall into the same rotation every year. I go to school for eight months, work for four months. Whenever I get near the end of the school year or semester, I wish I was working. It sounds nice to go to work and not bring it home with you, to make money, to spend that money and have fun. But after working a few months, I wish I was at school. At school I don't have to dress up, I don't have to worry about customer service, people expect me to be poor and therefore expect less of me besides good grades.
This dilemma reminds me of something a friend once said, "humans are hard to please". I get what I want and then I don't want it anymore and want something else. Why can't I be content?
A month into school, I am feeling more friendly towards it. I like to learn new things, to meet people with similar goals, and to have real structure and routine to my days (no matter how monotonous). I don't even mind doing the work, the small accomplishments I get to experience every week makes me feel good about myself. It makes me feel that I have been constructive with my time, that I am helping myself to get somewhere important in life.
We'll see how I feel in another month. I will probably be emotional, sleepy but wired on caffeine, wishing to be on vacation in Hawaii with a drink in my hand and no thoughts in my head and nothing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment